Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Since I have been living in Guatemala, one of my favorite things to do is share my life and ministry here with my friends and family. During the week of Thanksgiving, a team of 26 people from two churches in Colorado Springs (Sunrise and Good Shepherd UMC) came to participate in various ministries throughout Guatemala! We worked at an AIDS hospice, with street children, at the local hospital, and in a rural church - teaching Vacation Bible School and helping to build a new community center for the church. It was great to see my parents, our missions committee from church and other couples and families serve Guatemala, experience new and stretching ministries and try new things! Another aspect of the trip which I really enjoyed was watching some of my Guatemalan friends grow, as we invited them to participate with us in ministry. Some youth from my church here in Guatemala, who had never been on a mission trip, left their homes and families for a week (quite an unusual thing to do for this culture!) and helped us teach VBS and work with children. Since then I have been helping them process the experience and they are truly excited about a future role in missions! For me, the neatest part of the trip was seeing how, regardless of where you are from, what language you speak or whether you prefer hamburgers or black beans, there is a place for you in what God is doing around the world, if you are just willing to give it a try!






No comments: